Thursday, July 5, 2007

Lawyers Guns and Government Money the 1983 Airborne story

1983 Airborne profile

My first profile will be the first Joe from 1983 I got, and since that's my favorite year it's a good place to start. Airborne is pretty great for an 83 that has a burden of being a character who's got a race based character, a hard to use specialty and someone wearing bright blue.

I've always used Airborne as an infantryman since the Dragonfly sucked and had a horrible pilot (fun fact: as a kid I killed Wild Bill off after he made a joke about Airborne "siouxing" him) sure his codename made no sense, but he was a great figure that I didn't want to give up on missions.

The Airborne mold doesn't get enough credit, it's torso had similar details to the 82 torso mold with the straps, knife and grenade but were completely different. he had forearm and kneepads when barely any other figures did, plus his accesories were better than most other Joe figure's (the M-16 with bayonet was awesome, the helmet was cool and had a lot of detail, and the backpack was bitchin' to the extreme as it was used like 5-6 times) Airborne also had a patch on his arm, that was a rad detail that wasn't used enough because it made the figure look more legit.

My only problems with Airborne was the horrible haircut he had, and the fact he didn't get a repaint in more jungle/forest friendly colors.

Airborne was one of the few figures I had as a kid that never left my joe missions, he looked pretty decent in all enviroments, he wasn't one of the guys who stood out, he was a basic guy who did his job, his gear wasn't specialized and helped his role.

Normally I'd have a couple pictures of the figure in question but I don't, but don't worry if you want to look at Airborne there are websites with picture of him, such as Yojoe. Or you could get an Airborne, they're usually cheap and a good figure too.

No comments: