Friday, September 12, 2008

Remember when G.I.Joe wasn't a serious Collector hobby

Prior to the 25th Anniversary of G.I. Joe, Hasbro marketed G.I. Joe's from 1997-2006 too jerks, cool dudes (Smash The State, it's loyal readers and a few other non jerks), some angry guys, and the nostalgic. This meant that Hasbro mainly focused on making a bunch of awful figures, lying too fans and occasionally doing something good. So there main audience was people who belived they "Really tried hard too make a figure I didn't belive that I would enjoy" as well as people who blew their money on joes because it was an easy thing to collect.

Nowadays, G.I. Joe is serious fucking business, which means not only are they still making awful figures and lying too the fans, but now they've decided to make nerds lose more money, by producing garbage like this:



That's a mighty Mugg, I have no idea what the fuck a Mighty Mugg is, but i'm sure some moron is gonna fork money over for it because G.I. Joe is now SERIOUS GODDAMN BUSINESS AND YOU GOTTA GET TWO OF EVERYTHING (One to open and put on a shelf and another to tack too your wall or put on a hook to make your house look like a fucking Wal Mart)

There's another stupid type of thing like this but I can't remember what they're called, but I do know they're godawful too and this type of expansion is only making this line easier and easier too ignore, back in the good old days of stuff we complained about but would take back in a heart beat this shit wouldn't fly

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Strange trend. Fans have gone beyond being nostalgic for the stuff they had as a 8 year olds and now want stuff they would've played with, had it existed, as 2 year olds. That and Hasbro whoring out the brand names as much as possible. I mean, they did the playskool figure things with Indiana Jones...like that line would appeal to 2 year olds.

Unknown said...

Joe fans could buy these for the girlfriends they (don't) have to try and make there stupid hobby look acceptable.

"SEE HONEY ITS CUTE YOU LIKE CUTE THINGS!"

These things are about as useful as a song by Teenage Jesus and The Jerks

Stuart said...

I used to collect Care Bears. (Seriously.) I had the ones from my youth, which relatives had bought me. Whenever I saw old Care Bears stuff in a consignment shop or thrift store, I'd buy it. Then eBay came along, and I bought some more bears, ones I had always wanted, for about $10 each.

Then about 2000 there was Care Bears shit EVERYWHERE. New bears, stationery, bikes, everything. Way too much, all the fun had gone out of it. I didn't buy any of it.

Actually, I just gave away almost all my bears, except for the ones I had as a kid, which are mostly in awful shape because I was all hugging them all the time and stuff.

dv said...

lydia lunch is actually a gi joe. codename: SUPER TROOPER

Johnny Turk said...

D Verburg, thank you for that bombshell it now explains why I thought super trooper was a total dreamboat