Sunday, November 16, 2008

What the fuck is up with Iron Grenadiers?

I've noticed that a lot of Joe fans sure like Iron Grenadiers, but I've got to ask why? No one likes Battle Force 2000, who they were supposed to be enemies with (THANKS LARRY HAMA YOU JUST CAN'T FOLLOW HASBRO CAN YOU?)

I mean they're lead by Destro looking his gayest (Sorry to all you homosexuals, but he wears a gold iron mask and has a fucking cape on) and some dude who looks like Major Bludd just 100 times worse (Magenta suit, a beard almost as bad as Clutch's and his backpack is hella phalic looking) and I assume Dorklon was important, fuck that dude and his ugly ass green costume

The Iron Grenaider himself is okay, not as cool as a Viper or Cobra Soldier, and his weapons are lamer than Sci Fi version 2's. Then they remade him, but instead of being a dude with some Conquistador helmet (Which is odd because Spaniards aren't close too be Spanish) he's got some ugly ass balaclava bolted too his goddamn face, small hands, abnormal height and a helmet that doesn't fit. Fuck Iron Grenaider v2,3,4

Then there was a Convention one with a v1 head on a Night Viper body, someone in the comments section once claimed he was like someone's bad custom. That dude was right!

There was also the Ahnilliator, who was Orange and Purple for some reason, and he had a dumb helicopter backpack thing, I hate this guy because he's not only ugly and a goofy idea, but he's got his boss' face on his dick. That bugs me because it proves Destro has a big ego, and I swear too god I saw that waist used on a Baroness custom, that is hella weird.

TARGAT, I still am not sure on the purpose of this guy, I guess he wasn't sure of himself either. Joined Cobra

Undertow, fuck divers not named "HYDRO VIPER" and what's with the fish?

Iron Anvil I didn't think the idea of an enemy paratrooper was bad, using a goofy mold that is easily identifiable as a Viper is a poor choice, using a fucking Jinx backpack makes me think the Iron Grenaiders were supposed to be the EVILS OF HOMOSEXUALITY instead of the Dreadnoks

Nullifier, what the fuck are you supposed to be? An anteater? an armored mummy? a Cobra-La figure? good? All but that last one could be possible

Ferret. I only recognize the ATV move along

Wild Boar: True Story I had this figure for like ten years but thought he was a bootleg so I got rid of him, I still don't think he's real.

General Mayhem: Hey it's Voltar just with a mold that pisses people off and a glued on helmet. Also a russian, fuck that commie.

Also according to Yojoe.com Rowdy Roddy Piper of pro grapz infamy is an IG. Man couldn't they have gotten a Luchador or Chris Benoit (the dude who iced his family) instead?

Also Overlord and Dr. Mindbender were IG's in Brazil, and I think Overlord's filecard states he was raised by Satanists. Thank you brazil for having the balls Hasbro didn't have.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the story progression of Destro breaking with Cobra. "Iron Grenadiers" is an awkward name for a group, though.

In Europe, they weren't a seperate group, just part of Cobra. Same with BF 2000, who wre single carded as regular Joes and didn't even get their vehicles. Just 6 carded driver figures...strange.

Jaysun said...

Smash The State is back.

watch out fuckers.

less than zero said...

iron grenadiers appeal to insane right-wing gi joe fans' inner love of totalitarianism with their gasmasks and jackboots

Johnny Turk said...

The idea of Destro having his own mercenary army is pretty good, and it makes sense too. I just don't understand the whole fixation on it, and how jerks incorporate them into COBRA all the fucking time.

LBAM, I got to say the leather leisure suit with an open shirt is a way better look. He can wheel and deal and then go to the disco

Common Tator, you make Europeans not getting the BF2000 vehicles sound like a downer

Jaysun, I ain't sure if STS is back for sure, part of that's up to Henry E. Miller. But I'll probably do articles still. However they're gonna be more on topic and less of the "LOLZ LET'S TALK ABOUT PEOPLE BUT TOTALLY NOT OUT AND SAY WHO THEY ARE" or "FAKE HISTOREE" bullshit articles that've plauged this site for the last while.

However if shit gets out of hand again, I'm killing this blog faster than Terri Schivo

Anonymous said...

Gayest Destro is previewed at Hisstank.

The IG's weren't distinct enough from Cobra. Once you had TARGAT and Annihilator with domed/visored Cobra looks...something was lost.

Like the Headhunters, the basic Headhunter looks like Cobra Commander joined Janet Jackson's back-up dancers for Rhythm Nation 1814. It was enevitable they'd get lumped into Cobra, too.

Anonymous said...

doctor miller bought into his own hype i see

Johnny Turk said...

I dunno about Dr. Henry E. Miller. I haven't talked too him in like a week or some shit, he is important to STS, but if he doesn't want to do it, he doesn't have too, I ain't forcing him.

I can't say I've been seeing eye to eye with him about much for the last little while though. I don't know if he's felt the same way, but part of my dissatisfaction with Smash The State has been stemming from that.

whatever

Anonymous said...

This article is what Smash the State is all about. Bravo Johnny Turk.

the line about someone using Annihilators crotch for a Baroness custom really made me laugh.

But while I do like the concept of the IG, I think they would have been better if at least they all had a matching color scheme or at the very least no Orange Troops.